WMU Bronco Card®

Bronco Card® Office hours:
    Monday through Thursday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
    Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Location: WMU Parking Services [Google Maps]  [Campus Map]

Phone Number: (269) 387-6278

How You Get Your Bronco Card®

If you need a Bronco Card® immediately, you can visit Parking Services during regular business hours (a $30 replacement fee may apply). Typically, a new or replacement Bronco Card® can be printed within minutes.

In order to minimize the risk associated with COVID-19, an online Bronco Card® photo service was implemented for those without a photo on file. Unless a Bronco Card® is needed immediately, photos should be submitted by students and employees. If you do not have a photo on file, you may start the process of submitting your Bronco Card® photo online at https://photo.wmupd.wmich.edu*. Please read all the guidelines closely or your photo may be rejected.

Your submitted photo may be approved within 2 business days. You will only be emailed if your photo is not approved. If you do not receive a rejection email within 2 business days, you may go to Parking Services to obtain your new Bronco Card®.

To get a replacement card please visit Parking Services during regular business hours (a $30 replacement fee may apply). If you have a question you may contact the Bronco Card® Office at (269) 387-6278 or email dps-broncocard@wmich.edu.

*Accessing the photo upload page may not be possible outside of the United States. International students may need to do one of the following:

  • After arriving in the United States, upload a headshot using the photo upload page, or
  • After getting to WMU Main Campus, stop by Parking Services to get a picture taken.

About Your Bronco Card®

The WMU Bronco Card® is your photo identification card at Western Michigan University as well as used:

  • As your Library Card
  • For Dining Services\access and Dining Dollars
  • For access to the Student Recreation Center
  • At the Computer Centers
  • As a security access card to many on-campus buildings
  • For sport event entry (select events/students only)
  • To ride Metro around campus and the Kalamazoo area for free by showing your Bronco ID to the driver when boarding. For more information, call (269) 337-8222 or visit kmetro.com.

The Bronco Card® has the size, look, and feel of a credit card. The front of your card is your picture; on the back of the card is your student number and a magnetic strip which links to various University systems, depending on what you have signed up for or need to access.

Click here to view the Bronco Card® policy.


The Bronco Card® will be your WMU identification for as long as you are a student at Western Michigan University. Your Bronco Card® will be issued at New Student Orientation as part of the orientation process with no charge to you (WMUx students are charged $5). For students not participating in an orientation program, Bronco Cards® are typically issued approximately one month before the start of the semester. Contact the Bronco Card® Office for details.

Faculty and staff

The Bronco Card® will be your WMU identification during your time of employment at WMU. NOTE FOR NEW EMPLOYEES: Your photo may be submitted and your card may be printed only after the university system fully syncs with the Bronco Card® system. This may take 24 to 48 hours.


Those enrolled in WMUx (formerly Extended University Programs, or EUP) are charged $5 for the first issuance of a bronco card. For others there is no cost for the initial card issued, but there may be fees for any reissued cards. Employees are not exempt from Bronco Card® rules and fees.

Replacing Your Bronco Card®

Only cash or credit are accepted for replacement charges. Also, bring a picture identification to obtain a replacement card at the Bronco Card® Office at Parking Services.

Charges for replacement cards are:

  • $30 for lost, damaged, neglected or misused cards
  • $35 for confiscated cards

There is no cost for replacement cards due to

  • a documented legal name change
  • a manufacturer defect, or
  • being badly worn due to expected, regular use

Your Bronco Card® can be printed while you wait; it takes only a few minutes. However, uploaded photos may take 1-2 business before being accepted and added to the Bronco Card system.

Retain your card

If you experience a break in your academic career (e.g., a term or year off), please retain your original Bronco Card® as it is still your official ID card. If you complete your undergraduate degree and enter graduate studies at WMU, your original Bronco Card® is still valid.

Lost or stolen cards

Immediately call (269) 387-6278 to report your Bronco Card® lost or stolen. If your card has not been reported lost or stolen, you may be liable for the use of your Bronco Card®. Once a card has been reported as lost or stolen it will be deactivated. A replacement card may then be issued based on the fee scale listed above. Found cards belonging to currently registered students will be available for pick up at no additional cost.

Legal Name Change

Following a legal name change, a student may request a replacement Bronco Card® at no cost, provided the following conditions are met:

  • Complete the legal name change process with the university*
  • Bring in the old identification card (to be returned and replaced)
  • Bring legal documentation of the name change
* A wait period is required before visiting the Bronco Card® Office to ensure the ID card system has the updated university information. This is usually 24-48 hours.

Preferred First Name

A student may declare a Preferred First Name and request it be displayed on their Bronco Card®. The student is responsible for the $30 replacement fee. The Preferred First Name will be printed on the front of the card with the legal last name. The legal first and last name will be printed on the back of the card. After a Preferred First Name is updated with the university, a wait period is required before visiting the Bronco Card® Office to ensure the ID card system has the updated information. This is usually 24-48 hours.

Found cards

If you find a Bronco Card®, please turn it in to:

Department of Public Safety
511 Monroe Street
Kalamazoo MI 49006 USA